i have to go to ut tyler this afternoon to take my esl test. i haven't taken a test for anything in 10 years, since i took my teacher certification test. same place. i was a little worried because i took the class about the test 3 months ago, but i took a practice test last night and only missed 2 questions. and, it's not a test for anything i HAVE to have for work, just extra that will make my resume look better, it will make it easier to get a job somewhere else, and scheduling my students next year will be easier for admin. we finally got paid this week. i really wish they didn't even pay us early. that would be easier than going almost 6 weeks in between checks! Scout got his first haircut this week! not really a real haircut...Gram trimmed his curls off and straightened everything up so he looks like a little boy now instead of a girl or a little urchin! hair is just not going to be a big deal for us. he wants to grow it out, ok...shave his head, alright. you can always start over or wear hats! at one point, i had a tail, one side of my hair was shorter than the other, and i had lines shaved in my hair. i used to color it with markers. i had a blue streak in it. in college, it was dark brown, almost white, and then the same color as a dr. pepper can. and i probably didn't use a brush or comb for well over a year. K-dogg's hair has been shaved very short and he's had huge curls almost down to his shoulders. not to mention Gram's many different colors and styles! there's not much Scout will be able to do to his hair that would surprise us. anyway, i'm off to find something to eat. can't go in to that test on an empty and growling stomach!
Ten things I like right now...
The peanut butter chocolate chip oatmeal cookies my mom has been baking
Watching Scout discover new foods
It's Saturday night
All our laundry is done
Scout walked the farthest he's ever walked by himself today
OKC Thunder keep winning
It's not too much longer before baseball starts
Church is tomorrow, I like watching Scout greet people and listen to the music
Payday is this week...finally!
We cleaned out Scout's toys today and it looks much better!
Think I just lost a whole post...here's the short version...works is not a fun place to be this week due to cancer. It's been 9 years since my cousin, Bryan, was killed. I miss him, I wish he was still here to see his niece and nephew grow up. I hope we don't get any bad news tomorrow. When my phone isn't about to shut off...I'll retype my original post!
the golden globes awards are on tonight. i have seen 4 movies in the theater since Scout was born, harry potter and the deathly hollows parts 1 and 2, the help, and dolphin tale. dolphin tale was during work, too. the students that met their ar goals got to go to the movies and choose between dolphin tale and the smurfs. so, i haven't seen most of the movies that will be awarded tonight, but i'm an avid reader of entertainment weekly, so i do have some idea of what's going on! in honor of the big movies night, i'm listing my top ten favorite movie SOUNDTRACKS of all time. agree, disagree, marvel at my awesomeness, laugh in my face...i don't care, but feel free to add your thoughts and opinions!
The Big Chill
Romeo & Juliet
Now and Then
Dazed and Confused
Blues Brothers 2000
This list is not really in order, that would be too hard!
Obviously, unlike my mom, the more stressed I am, the less I write and the less I eat. In the past two weeks one of my former students and another boy lost their moms to cancer and pneumonia. Another former student was shot in the face and the kid they have in custody is also a former student. Scout had a stomach virus and before it had even gone away he got double pink eye. Thankfully, it didn't seem to be the contagious kind. We don't know where he for it, but none of us got it from him! He didnt really eat for almost a week, but hes making up for it now! Coach Little passed away on Tuesday morning. There was a little confusion and drama with me taking off work for the funeral today. My annual evaluation at work was on Wednesday morning...I was not in much of a mood for that, but it turned out ok. One of my current students is having some major problems with some new medicine and the mom doesn't seem concerned at all. This morning was the funeral. I don't normally do funerals, but my dad was speaking at it, an it was Coach Little. I did pretty good at keeping it together until his son, Brad, got up to speak. He did a really good job. Tomorrow I plan to run away to target and eat some lunch, play with Scout, and enjoy the rest of our long weekend.
"borrowing" from my mom's blog...top ten things on my mid right now...some serious, others not at all!
1. Coach Little- we'd have to go WAY back to when I was in 5th grade...for some reason, my dad and I helped them move into their house when they moved to Gladewater. We all became friends. Brad and I had several crazy youth trips together. The night we had a wreck on the way home from a Rangers game and I had to get rib x-rays...Brad stayed with me most of the time and got me a candy bar after the doctors said my stomach was empty. At out homes, my mom and Coach Little both woke up, knowing something was wrong, and were awake and waiting when we all started calling our houses! Coach Little was my 9th grade science teacher, I didn't learn a thing except that "a good research paper should be like a girl's skirt...long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to be interesting!" Alyssa and Bean spent HOURS swimming, laughing, and baking cookies together. Between Alyssa's wreck and their mom's death, they've been through way more than any family should have to deal with. And now this. But, the Littles are one of the strongest families I know.
2. Scout has not been himself the past few days...we do not like teething around here!
3. When he feels good, Scout is an awesome little kid and a lot of fun to be around! He actually clapped when he saw me this afternoon.
4. I never thought I would be so excited to get new rugs for my kitchen...until they arrived today.
5. I miss watching tv past 8pm and actually being able to hear it!
6. Tomorrow is Wednesday!
7. My students have the weirdest and funniest conversations, unintentionally, when hey don't know I'm listening.
8. I really want to go to a concert sometime this year!
9. Getting paid early in November and December is nice at the time...not so nice during January! Really working on not shopping online or getting dinner out for a few weeks!
10. I could really use a day at home all alone to get stuff done here...and watch tv with the sound up and no interruptions!
Now, a shower one more trip through pinterest and Facebook...an I should be ready to sleep. And, yes, my alarm is set!
i'm a Christian, wife, mom to the most awesome kid...ever, daughter, sister, texan, teacher, survivor of my grandparents :), niece, cousin, sister-in-law, daughter-in-law, individual that was probably born in the wrong time. i live in a too-big for me house with my husband and our son and some people think i'm spoiled because my mom cleans our house. but, actually, i was spoiled way before that! i teach 4th grade ela and texas history...yes, that means the dreaded staar test! i like being just a little too weird for people around here, taking pictures, modpodging everything, shopping, and music! (Scout has changed most of my interests, hobbies, and free time!)